.
Other Warbirds

FG-1D “530”
The CAF’s FG-1D “530” is one of the original airframes that launched the Confederate Air Force (now Commemorative Air Force). This airplane is not only historically significant, but it is thoroughly engrained in the CAF's heritage and has been one of the busiest aircraft in the history of the CAF’s stable. The CAF Dixie Wing at Falcon Field was selected to become the new home for the FG-1D "530" by the leadership team of the CAF in August of 2012. We are very proud to have received such an honor and are doing our best to live up to that distinction.

CAF’s FG-1D History
Our corsair was built by Goodyear hence the designation FG instead of F4U. BuNo 92468 (Stands for “Bureau Number” which is the Navy serial number of the airframe) never saw military combat but was used stateside in various roles until being stricken from active duty by the US Navy in 1956. BuNo 92468 was rescued from destruction in 1957 by Ernest Huggins. Ernest only held the corsair for one year when he transferred ownership to Skip Underwood of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Underwood relocated the plane to an airstrip in Buckeye, Arizona where he had a small crop dusting operation and it remained there in storage until sold in 1960 to CAF Hall of Fame member Marvin L. “Lefty” Gardner.
P-51D "Ain't Misbehavin' "
P-51D "Ain't Misbehavin' " s/n 44-74009, rolled out of North American Aviation’s Inglewood, CA factory in October, 1944.
Operationally, it remained stateside with the U.S. Army Air Force and was later transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1945, where it served until 1957.

The aircraft is now painted in the colors of the Mustang flown by Capt. Jesse Frey of Indianapolis, IN, who flew the real “Ain’t Misbehavin” in World War II.The aircraft is based in Birmingham, AL and it's owne by Jim Thompson/Billy Strickland/Wes Stowers.
LT-6 Mosquito
The North American Aviation T-6 Texan was a single-engine advanced trainer aircraft used to train pilots of the United States Army Air Forces, United States Navy, Royal Air Force and other air forces of the British Commonwealth during World War II and into the 1950s. Designed by North American Aviation, the T-6 is known by a variety of designations depending on the model and operating air force. The USAAC and USAAF designated it as the AT-6, the United States Navy the SNJ, and British Commonwealth air forces, the Harvard, the name it is best known by outside of the US. After 1962, US forces designated it the T-6. It remains a popular warbird aircraft used for airshow demonstrations and static displays.
North American Harvard Mk. IV "J's Bird"
J's Bird is a 1952 Canadian Car and Foundry Harvard Mk 4.J's Bird was received by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) on 9 September 1952 and served with No. 1 Flying Instructor's School at RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario. The aircraft was stuck from the records on 15 August 1966. It also spent some time with the Canadian Warplane Heritage, a flying museum similar to the American Airpower Heritage in this country, based in Ontario, Canada. After that it ended up in Vancouver, British Columbia where it was used in an aerial combat operation; "fighter pilot for a day" if you will. The paint scheme represents that applied to training and administrative aircraft in Britain during World War II. The serial number you see actually belongs to a Harvard Mk II that saw service in England during that period. In that sense it is completely accurate, or inaccurate, depending on your point of view.
Fairchild PT-26
Flashback to 1987. The Dixie Wing was young and had no airplanes. Imagine the excitement when we were assigned our first warbird, a Fairchild PT-26 donated to the Commemorative Air Force by Col. Owen E. Stiegelmeir of Berea, Ohio. But, we had some challenges. The aircraft, N9878H, was in a field, under a shed, and had not been flown for some time. Our Dixie Wing maintenance team traveled to Ohio and got the aircraft ready to ferry to Atlanta. On September 14, 1987, Col. C. W. Kemper slicked the little navy blue Cornell onto the runway at South Fulton County Airport, and the Dixie Wing was in the Warbird business. Upon a deeper annual inspection, our team found that the PT-26 needed new fabric. In addition, the rear spar of the horizontal stabilizer had some rot under one of the elevator hinges. Instead of covering up possible problems with new covering, we decided to go ahead and restore the aircraft. The N number was also changed to associate it with the Dixie Wing. After extensive restoration, N26GA flew again on February 2, 1992. The silver paint scheme of the U.S. Army Training Command is the correct color for the American usage of the PT-26. The Canadian Cornells were painted yellow. Blue and yellow colors were discontinued before all but a very few PT-26s were put into service. Our PT-26 has given us little trouble, except for a couple of cylinder and radio repairs. It has traveled to many air shows.
Japanese B5N2 Kate (Replica) Torpedo Bomber
This Warbird started life out as SNJ -4 and the tail section of a Vultee BT-13 and was re-created into the Kate by 20th Century Fox for their epic Tora, Tora, Tora. Kate BII-310 carries the markings of the Group Leader from the Second Carrier Division of the Carrier Hiryu.  It was piloted on December 7, 1941 by Jyosuke Uesugi, and manned by Lt. Toshio Hashimoto as the Bombardier and Tomio Koyama as the rear gunner.  Their assignment on that fateful day was to participate in the attack on the Battleship, U.S.S. California.

The Kate has appeared in the movies The Battle of Midway, The Flying Misfits, War and Remembrance, and the TV Series, Black Sheep Squadron and flies as a reminder to “REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR”, and to honor the service of all veterans who have done so much in the service of our country. Visit www.japanesebomber.com for more information.
"Swamp Fox", is a meticulously restored P-51 D Mustang.
According to USAF records, the P-51D, s/n 44-15660, was manufactured by North American Aviation, Inglewood CA and delivered to the USAAF on 20 Oct 1944. It departed the US by sea on 30 Oct 1944 and was assigned to the Eighth Air Force, England, on 10 Nov 1944. It was disposed as surplus overseas on 16 Jul 1946.Robert Dickson Sr. and his son Robert bought the plane in June of 2012 and had it painted as the last mount of then Lt. Will Foard – “Swamp Fox” C5-A, 364th Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, based out of Leiston, England.

1943 L-5 Sentinel
The Stinson L-5 Sentinel was a World War II era liaison aircraft used by all branches of the U.S. military and by the British Royal Air Force. Along with the Stinson L-1 Vigilant, the L-5 was the only other American liaison aircraft of World War II that was purpose-built for military use and had no civilian counterpart. All other military liaison airplanes adopted during World War II were lightly modified "off-the-shelf" civilian models.
Stearman (Boeing) Model 75
The Stearman (Boeing) Model 75 is a biplane used as a military trainer aircraft, of which at least 10,626 were built in the United States during the 1930s and 1940s.[1] Stearman Aircraft became a subsidiary of Boeing in 1934. Widely known as the Stearman, Boeing Stearman or Kaydet, it served as a primary trainer for the USAAF, the USN (as the NS & N2S), and with the RCAF as the Kaydet throughout World War II. After the conflict was over, thousands of surplus aircraft were sold on the civilian market. In the immediate postwar years they became popular as crop dusters, sports planes, and for aerobatic and wing walking use in airshows.
Focke Wulf 149 D
The Focke Wulf 149 D is the longest serving aircraft in the history of the German Luftwaffe beating out the T-34 and other entries to become the West Germans new trainer in 1956. Served from 1957-1990 in a variety of roles from primary trainer to liaison aircraft. N53043 1960 Focke Wulf 149 D served in the West German Luftwaffe from 1960 to 1979. Its first assignment was as a primary trainer for flight school. Then it became assigned to Jabo 36 a F-104 fighter bomber squadron as the commanders liaison aircraft. Next it moved to JG74 a F-4F fighter bomber squadron again as the commanders liaison aircraft. It's last assignment was at the Techincal School Luftwaffe One as a Mechanics training Aid. It flew in civilian markings in Europe til 1988 then went in storage. It was then restored and flown across the Atlantic and started its Warbird Airshow life in the United States in 1990.
U-10 Helio Courier
The Helio Courier is a light C/STOL utility aircraft designed in 1949.U-10 is a light utility transport developed from a civilian design first tested in 1949. Its short takeoff and landing (STOL) capability allows it to operate from a clearing the size of a football field, and its ability to fly very slowly at speeds of approximately 24-35 mph makes it an excellent aircraft for visual reconnaissance.The original version of the USAF Super Courier made its first flight in 1958. The USAF purchased three aircraft for evaluation the same year, designating them L-28As and later redesignating them U-10As. Eventually, more than 100 additional U-10s were ordered, mainly for use by air commando units in Southeast Asia. It was used for liaison, light cargo, small supply drop operations, psychological warfare (dropping leaflets and broadcasting propaganda), forward air controller and reconnaissance missions. The airplane that will be on display at AWW was the first U-10A built in 1961 and delivered to he USAF in 1962. It is a Helio H-395 Courier. It was used as a trainer for the U-10 pilots who would fly them in Vietnam.
Beech AT-11 Serial# 41-9486 “Tantalizing Takeoff”
The Army Air Force AT-11 known as the Kansan was an advanced twin engine trainer that was used to train Bombardiers, Gunners and Navigators during and after World War II. The AT-11 was setup as a smaller version of the B-17 Flying Fortress or B-24 Liberator. This provided a simulated training environment similar to the full sized bombers. Over 90% of all Bombardiers in WWII trained in the glass nosed version of the famous Twin Beech. The same C-1 autopilot that was used in all bombers of WWII was tied to the Norden bombsight on the AT-11. For gunnery training a single 30 caliber motor driven turret or a twin 30 caliber electrically powered turret was installed in the top of the rear fuselage.1,584 AT-11 Kansan aircraft were produced between 1941 and 1944. Only a few are still flying today.41-9486 was the 50th AT-11 built and is the oldest currently flying.
Beechcraft T-6 Texan II
The Beechcraft T-6 Texan II is a single-engine turboprop aircraft built by the Raytheon Aircraft Company (which became Hawker Beechcraft and is now Beechcraft Corporation). Based on the Pilatus PC-9, the T-6 has replaced the Air Force's Cessna T-37B Tweet and the Navy's T-34C Turbo Mentor. The T-6A is used by the United States Air Force for basic pilot training and Combat Systems Officer (CSO) training and by the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps for Primary and Intermediate Naval Flight Officer (NFO) training.






Email Address:*
First Name:*
Last Name:*
* required


www.atlantawarbirdweekend.com
Copyright © 2017